This was only the 3rd time in my life that I have voted but for me, this years election turned out to mean more for me than voting for a president. As the people of our country ran through the year passionately expressing their opinions I sat back and thought about what this was teaching my children. I realized that they weren't learning anything about our country....our government...the future of this land we call home. And that made me sad because the things that they were learning were things that in a normal day we try to teach our kids are wrong. They were learning that it was okay to call people names and talk poorly of them if you believe in something different...they were learning that it was okay to form an opinion on things they've heard second hand...they were learning that they could dislike a person without ever having met them...they were learning that they could judge someone that they've never had to walk in their shoes....they were learning that their future rides on one single person....and the one that saddened me the most was that they were learning that it was okay to let politics come between people.
These were things that just didn't sit well with me. I try to teach my kids that we are all different-we come from different races...we look different...we have different talents...we have faith in different things...we have different views and regardless of it all we should respect others and learn from others when they are different from us. I teach my kids that we don't call people names...we don't judge people ..we don't talk poorly of others....we don't dislike someone before we've had the chance to get to know them....that we contribute to and choose our own destiny....and above all that the people we love in life are the most important thing!
And so despite all of the poor behavior by so many I am thankful for this election giving me the opportunity to expose and discuss such ridiculous behavior with my kids so that we could learn and grow together. And I am proud that I can say that I voted and was able to talk positively with my kids about it.

No comments:
Post a Comment