
In 2009, much to our surprise, my Aunt Liz was diagnosed with breast cancer. Breast cancer does not run in our family so it was a difficult experience for all of us to watch her learn how this would affect her life and all of the treatments and surgeries that she had to go through. I'd like to share her story with you:
What an enormous shock for us on Sept. 24, 2009 when I found out I had Breast Cancer.
Like most people I always thought that Cancer would never happen to ME. Boy, was I wrong. I remember the overwhelming emotional response and feeling of uncertainty as if it was just yesterday. I wasn’t as worried about myself as I was for the kids. What would Hannah and Braden do? How would Don do it alone? I just couldn’t bear the thought of the pain they would feel should the cancer “win”. From that moment on I was absolutely committed to do everything I could to win this battle. With Don’s support and constant encouragement we began this new journey and have walked side-by-side through the often-bewildering mazes of “what next” and “what does this mean”.
As most of you are aware, the last nine months have included many doctor appointments, surgeries, several months of chemo treatments and a month and a half of daily radiation treatments. With today’s advancements in modern medicine you’d not expect so many to have to go through all of this
but they do, by the thousands. Having now dealt with this myself and now feeling that I’m on the road to recovery we’ve (Don and I) committed to being part of the effort to find a cure. Our lives changed on September 24th and we really want to help keep that kind of change from happening for others.
One way in which I’m doing this is to participate in the Komen 3-day Walk for the Cure. Over the weekend of Aug.27-29th 2010 I will walk 60 miles with thousands of other men & women all committed to helping find an end to breast cancer. I consider myself lucky to be physically able to do this - so many others don’t ever get the chance.
I’m also pleased to say that as he has done from that first moment when we learned about the diagnosis, Don will now walk side-by-side with me for this symbolic three-day journey and we’d like YOU to be a part of it as well.
As “Walkers” for the Susan G. Komen 3-Day for the Cure we’ve each agreed to raise a minimum of $2,300 in donations. This is where we ask for YOUR help.
If you’re financially able would you please consider making a generous tax-deductible donation to this great cause and help sponsor our own Walk for the Cure?
Until a cure is found, one person will die every thirteen minutes in the United States.
Don and I are walking with the hope that by the time Hannah & her friends are adults, they won’t have to fear being diagnosed with Breast Cancer.
Please be a part of our team and help win this battle against Breast Cancer!
Thanks so much
- Liz Holmes
Like most people I always thought that Cancer would never happen to ME. Boy, was I wrong. I remember the overwhelming emotional response and feeling of uncertainty as if it was just yesterday. I wasn’t as worried about myself as I was for the kids. What would Hannah and Braden do? How would Don do it alone? I just couldn’t bear the thought of the pain they would feel should the cancer “win”. From that moment on I was absolutely committed to do everything I could to win this battle. With Don’s support and constant encouragement we began this new journey and have walked side-by-side through the often-bewildering mazes of “what next” and “what does this mean”.
As most of you are aware, the last nine months have included many doctor appointments, surgeries, several months of chemo treatments and a month and a half of daily radiation treatments. With today’s advancements in modern medicine you’d not expect so many to have to go through all of this
but they do, by the thousands. Having now dealt with this myself and now feeling that I’m on the road to recovery we’ve (Don and I) committed to being part of the effort to find a cure. Our lives changed on September 24th and we really want to help keep that kind of change from happening for others.
One way in which I’m doing this is to participate in the Komen 3-day Walk for the Cure. Over the weekend of Aug.27-29th 2010 I will walk 60 miles with thousands of other men & women all committed to helping find an end to breast cancer. I consider myself lucky to be physically able to do this - so many others don’t ever get the chance.
I’m also pleased to say that as he has done from that first moment when we learned about the diagnosis, Don will now walk side-by-side with me for this symbolic three-day journey and we’d like YOU to be a part of it as well.
As “Walkers” for the Susan G. Komen 3-Day for the Cure we’ve each agreed to raise a minimum of $2,300 in donations. This is where we ask for YOUR help.
If you’re financially able would you please consider making a generous tax-deductible donation to this great cause and help sponsor our own Walk for the Cure?
Until a cure is found, one person will die every thirteen minutes in the United States.
Don and I are walking with the hope that by the time Hannah & her friends are adults, they won’t have to fear being diagnosed with Breast Cancer.
Please be a part of our team and help win this battle against Breast Cancer!
Thanks so much
- Liz Holmes
In 2010, we were all moved to tears watching her come across the finish line of her first 3 Day Walk For A Cure. Afterwards, we all decided to combine our efforts and join a team to walk with them again in 2011.
After finding out that the Denver walk was cancelled, I struggled with being able to determine if I would be able to walk beside my aunt in Arizona. Cancer has affected my life in so many ways and so many people that I love have had to deal with this horrible disease. Some we've even had to say goodbye to. Because of this, I've recently decided that I would like to do whatever I can to make this possible however it's not going to be easy. In order to walk I will have to raise a minimum of $2300 by November. Although this is such a large amount, I know that every penny counts and if everyone who reads this gives just a little bit-I can get there. And when I do I will walk 60 miles for 3 days in honor of Liz and all the many woman who have, have had or will have this horrible disease.
Even the girls have committed to helping me out and this year their competition duet is in honor of Liz and the stand against breast cancer. If this piece wins at any of the competitions this year, they have made a commitment that any of the money that they win will go straight towards our fundraising efforts. Please take a moment and join them in standing up against this fight. You can visit my personal page at:
http://www.the3day.org/site/TR/2011/ArizonaEvent2011?px=5364280&pg=personal&fr_id=1600
No comments:
Post a Comment